Wednesday, September 15, 2010

TRAUMA

Ella, Sadie and I just had the most traumatic experience ever!!!

EVERY (3) fire alarm on the top floor went off this morning at 10. I was sort of freaking out that our house was struck by lightning and on fire. As I slowly made my way up the stairs to check it out, I didn't see any flames, smoke, etc. I checked the doors to the bedrooms for heat before opening them. Nothing. So, then the attempt was to turn off the annoying, high-pitched alarms that would NOT stop.

I had to go back downstairs and get a broom to see if I could use it to push the button on the alarm... that didn't work. These three alarms were connected by wires strung through the attic. So, to turn off the annoying, high-pitched alarms that would NOT stop, one would have to physically pull the wires out of them.

I cannot do this. We have 10 ft. ceilings. I would have to have gone and gotten the step ladder. Which is NOT allowed in your 8th month of pregnancy. WONDERFUL!!!

By now, I have tears streaming down my face because I CAN'T get them to stop making that awful noise! I end up having to call Perry to come home and help me. Not to mention I'm like heaving with tears. Now, I can't stop crying.

Perry came home, got the ladder and stopped the awful noise. He climbed into the attic space so he could make sure the roof didn't get hit and flames weren't hiding in our attic space. But thankfully they aren't.

We are now pretty sure that one of the alarms is dying and since they are all on the same circuit it made them all go off.

Sadie was whinning and being a big baby... I was crying and being an extremely big baby and Ella was being completely still, so I know she was probably freaked out because I was so freaked out.

After Perry got the noise to stop we sat and did our "relaxation breathing." It helped a little. We had lunch and I had a big glass of water. Now Ella is back to bouncing around, Sadie is napping peacefully and I feel SO much better.

Quite comical. Quite traumatic.

Just another day in the life of the Powells! :)

2 comments:

AmyC said...

How scary!!!

Mandy said...

OMG! Glad everything was ok! Pretty funny story now that you look back on it huh?